METRONA offers a system for the remote reading of data from utility meters in buildings. Thanks to this solution, data recorded by the utility meter can be quickly and periodically forwarded to the client.
Depending on the requirements, Metrona can offer several options for integrated remote reading of the meters:
Walk-by reading – the meters are equipped with radio modules and the readings are collected directly by a meter reader standing within the range of the radio modules (e.g. in front of the building). The reading is performed using a reading set: a netbook, a tablet or a smartphone with dedicated software and a receiver/antenna communicating with the radio modules coupled with the meters.
Reading from hubs – the readings from the meters equipped with radio modules are collected via the hubs. The reading is performed using a reading set that downloads data from the hub.
Reading from GPRS hubs with a SIM card – a fully remote system based on linked hubs that receive, store and transmit the reading data from the end metering instruments. GPRS hubs can send data via the GSM/LTE network infrastructure. A subscription fee is charged for the data transmission, settled on a monthly or annual basis.
Remote reading is a way to save the human work involved in periodically visiting building occupants and reading their meters.
Billing based on remote reading is the actual consumption billing, and is not based on estimates or forecasts.
Remote reading translates into direct access to current information about potential failures and the possibility of ongoing data analysis, which helps both the building manager and the occupants of the building to maintain control over the consumption of electricity or water.
Key advantages of the remote reading system:
- During the reading of the meter, the presence of the reader in the house, apartment or premises is not necessary. The occupants of the building can freely dispose of their time and their absence during the reading does not cause consequences, such as estimated billing or the need to arrange an additional, paid reading visit,
- short reading time (without the need to enter the premises) and elimination of the need to arrange separate visits with the occupants absent during the reading,
- elimination of human error that may occur during a manual reading of equipment (especially in hard-to-reach places),
- digital reading data transferred in an electronic form is easier and faster to enter into the client’s system,
- the history of readings makes it possible to analyse the water or heat consumption in a given period on a computer,
- the possibility of expanding the system with data hubs, enabling transmission via the Internet or GSM/LTE infrastructure,
- easy access to messages about abnormal conditions (a wide list of alarms),
- reading of various metering instruments (e.g. water meters and heat meters) with one intuitive reading set,
- the ability to independently read and configure the metering instruments: water meters and heat meters, after purchasing a reading set.
Due to its high flexibility, the remote reading system can be easily adapted to the individual needs of the client.